By The Skanner News Published: 30 August 2013
Private Policy Summary
We do not collect from web site visitors information that personally identifies them, unless they provide such information to us voluntarily and knowingly. We do not require that our visitors register with our site or that they provide us with personal information in order for them to view our site or do business with The Skanner News.
Regarding minors: If you are an individual 17 years of age or under, please obtain your parent's or guardian's consent before submitting any information on this web site. And, if you do send any information to us, please indicate that you are a minor when providing any personal identifying information. No information collected from minors is disclosed to any third parties for any purposes, unless we specifically state otherwise.
Who is The Skanner News / The Skanner Report?
The Skanner is a website and newspaper published in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. Established in 1975, The Skanner News Group has advanced the cause of the Black Press in the North Western United States. Please visit our About Us page for full information.
Our Contact Information
The Skanner News
415 N. Killingsworth
Portland, OR 97217
What data is collected by these two web sites?
- We collect basic contact info (first, last name, and email) from those who voluntarily opt-in to receive our email newsletter.
- We collect contact information from those purchasing tickets to our events.
- We collect contact information from those wishing to run advertisements.
Who is collecting it?
- For our email newsletter, ad inquiries, and events, our site collects this information directly.
- We have installed Google Analytics, and may also utilize other analytics platforms, which also utilize cookies and possibly other technology to track users.
How are you collecting it?
- For forms appearing on our site, we collect the data via user input (normal web site forms).
- For any cookies needed, those third-party patforms (e.g., Google) collect the information using their technoligy.
Why are you collecting it?
- We collect data for marketing purposes (e.g., email news sign-ups) and business purposes (e.g., accepting advertisements from users for our web site and/or our print editing; or for facilitating the purchase of tickets to our events). None of these are mandatory from our readers / users / visitors. If a user wishes to receive our emails, then the email address is mandatory. But, the other items can also be done via phone or mail if a user does not wish to provide information through our web sites.
- Any cookie-type data collected is done so we can participate in third-party ad platforms (e.g., Google AdSense) and/or so we can obtain analytics to help us understand our visitors and improve our users' experience. As far as our business' use goes, none of any cookie-type data is ever used to personally identify individuals. It's used to facilitate tech needs such as tracking user "sessions" on our site for analytics and/or other tech-specific purposes.
Do you plan to share it?
- We do not share or sell emails or other collected information.
- We cannot control what Google or other third-party advertisers do, but we also do not actively supply them with any personally identifyable information. They may track user activities and paths through our web sites.
- It is possible that any emails sent to our offices (either directly, or via form data when ads or event tickets are purchased via our web sites) may be seen by other staff, as needed for business purposes, and/or by any IT or office consultants who may be hired to work on our systems. However, user data will only ever be used for the business purpose with which you've supplied it -- not harvested by staff or contractors for other use.
Is the data secure?
- Our site at www.TheSkanner.com uses an SSL certificate, which encrypts your data and is more secure than non-SSL connections. The SSL certificate should normally be in place. But, if a warning appears on any form page that the site is insecure, we do not advise using the form until we can address any issue. The other web site at www.TheSkannerReport.com does not solicit any personal or confidential information via its web form, so we have not to date secured that form.
- We implement appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security apropriate to any risk of keeping such data, and feel that all data is appropriately secured.
How long will you store it?
- We store emails indefinitely, or until a user unsubscribes via a link at the footer of any emailed newsletter.
- We do not store any other cookie-type info, although we are able to view our analytics presumably indefinitely.
What control do I have over it?
- Web visitors cannot control what ads they see, or the fact that they have visited our sites. However, as far as analytics or advertising goes, we do not have any access to personally identifyable information.
Is this likely to affect me negatively?
- Being on an email list is not likely to affect anyone negatively, especially as anyone can unsubscribe at any time.
- Filling out forms to run ads is not likely to affect anyone negatively, as it is a means to communicate with the newspaper.
Will this cause objections or complaints?