Students and alumni in the TRIO programs at Portland State University — which include students from limited-income, first-generation families, ethnic minorities and other underrepresented groups in the Portland and Hillsboro school districts — were recognized during TRIO Student Recognition Day recently.
The TRIO Recognition Day recipients, and their affiliated programs, were:
Educational Opportunity Program:
• LaKeesha K. Jointer, a 2000 graduate from Portland State with a bachelor's degree in marketing and business management
• Kyra Ngo, a 2003 graduate from Portland State with a bachelor's degree in human resources management
Native American Student Services:
• Ray Tate, PSU graduate and former officer, American Indian Science and Engineering Society
Diversity Recognition Scholarship:
• Nicole Camara, a 2000 graduate with a bachelor's degree in both psychology and sociology and a master's degree in education
Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Programs:
• Eric Webb, a graduate student at Portland State earning his master's degree in mathematics
• Sarah Stacy Lannarone, working on her Ph.D. in philosophy, urban studies and planning at PSU
• Estela Vasquez, from Benson High School
• Phong Nguyen, from Madison High School
Educational Talent Search:
• Hanae Said, from Benson High School
• Martin Toledo, from Century High School
TRIO Programs at Portland State include the Student Support Services/Educational Opportunity Program, which helps increase the retention and graduation rates in higher education of eligible low-income, first-generation and disabled students; the McNair Scholars Program, helping increase the number of students from underrepresented backgrounds who receive Ph.D.s; and the Educational Talent Search, including both Project PLUS and Upward Bound, designed to improve students' academic and study skills in high school, develop their career and educational plans and help them enter and succeed in higher education. The two pre-college programs serve over 680 middle and high school students in the Portland and Hillsboro school districts.
For more information on all TRIO programs at Portland State,visit www.eeps. pdx.edu/.