The Skanner News Published: 13 June 2017
Oregon Public Broadcasting received 13 Emmy Awards from the Northwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, which took place on June 3 in Seattle.
Among the winners was Portland-based jazz pianist Darrell Grant, who won Best Musical Composition/Arrangement for Oregon Experience - ’Jazz Town:’ Portland’s Golden Jazz Age.
Grant has released eight albums as a bandleader, along with numerous recordings as a sideman, and continues to be both an educator and leader in the arts.
As a tenured professor of Jazz Studies and the associate director of the School of Music at Portland State University, Grant is also the founding director of the Leroy Vinnegar Jazz Institute. In 2008, he was inducted into the Oregon Jazz Hall of Fame; and in 2011, Grant was the recipient of the Kamelia Massih Outstanding Faculty Prize in the Arts.
Among OPB's 2017 Emmy Wins:
Oregon Art Beat
- Citation for Outstanding Community Service-Medium Market: Discovering Beverly Cleary (Steve Bass, Dave Davis, Cheryl Ikemiya, Morgan Holm, Jessica Martin, Katrina Sarson, Paul Loofburrow, Lauren Elkanich, Jennifer McCormick, Jan Boyd)
- Historic/Cultural - Program/Special: Discovering Beverly Cleary (Katrina Sarson, Producer; Lisa Suinn Kallem, Senior Video Editor; Tom Shrider, Senior Videographer/Editor; Greg Bond, Senior Videographer/Editor; Jessica Martin, Executive Producer, Oregon Art Beat; David Davis, Vice President of TV Production)
- Public/Current/Community Affairs - Program/Special: Darcelle XV (Kami Horton, Writer/Producer; Lisa Suinn Kallem, Senior Video Editor; Greg Bond, Senior Videographer; William Ward, Audio Technician)
- Documentary – Historical: Vanport (Nadine Jelsing, Producer/Writer; Lisa Suinn Kallem, Senior Video Editor; William Ward, Audio Technician)
- Director: Darcelle XV (Kami Horton)
- Musical Composition/Arrangement: Oregon Experience - ’Jazz Town:’ Portland’s Golden Jazz Age (Darrell Grant; Darrell Grant Music)