06-19-2024  10:57 pm   •   PDX and SEA Weather
Portland Police Bureau Press Release
Published: 09 December 2012

Breaking: Portland Police Bureau press release

On Saturday December 8, 2012, at 12:15 p.m., Portland Police officers assigned to East Precinct responded to 16000 Southeast Alder Street on the report of an 11-year-old boy seeing another 11-year-old boy with a loaded handgun.

Officers arrived in the area and contacted two boys, ages 11 and 7-years-old. As officers approached, the 11-year-old told the 7-year-old to run but both were stopped on the South side of the Freedom Foursquare Church.

Officers told the 11-year-old to keep his hands out of his pockets but he ignored the officers and tried putting his hand back in his pocket. Officers grabbed his arms and recovered a cocked and loaded .22 caliber handgun in his pocket.

The 11-year-old was not handcuffed but was placed into the back of a police car and the 7-year-old sat down on the ground.

Officers were flagged down by a woman, 22-year-old Ami Garrett of Southeast Portland, who told officers that she had been sitting in her truck when the two kids approached her vehicle as she sat in the Freedom Foursquare Church parking lot. She told police that the kids tried to carjack her as she waited for her parents who were in church.

Garrett told officers that the 7-year-old told the 11-year-old to "show her your piece" and the 11-year-old lifted his shirt and showed her a gun. The woman told police that she refused to give them the truck and the kids then demanded her phone and money, telling her that they couldn't leave without something and they threatened to shoot her if she didn't give them something. The woman again refused to give them anything and she drove away, calling 9-1-1. As she pulled away she saw the 11-year-old pull the gun from his pocket.

Robbery detectives were briefed by officers at the scene but due the age of the child suspects, they were both placed into the custody of their families as they cannot be taken to the Donald E. Long Juvenile Detention Home. After dropping off the 11-year-old at his parents house, he took off running from police but was quickly caught again and left in the custody of his parents.

All reports will be given to the Juvenile Court for follow-up and detectives will continue to investigate how the 11-year-old boy was able to obtain a firearm.

Recently Published by The Skanner News

  • Default
  • Title
  • Date
  • Random

The Skanner Foundation's 38th Annual MLK Breakfast