04-22-2019  3:03 pm      •     
Jessica Gresko and Ben Nuckols the Associated Press
Published: 07 January 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A package ignited at a Washington postal facility Friday, a day after fiery packages sent to Maryland's governor and transportation secretary burned the fingers of workers who opened them.

Initial information indicated the parcel that ignited in northeast Washington about 2:45 p.m. was similar to the two packages opened in Maryland on Thursday, authorities said. The Washington postal facility was evacuated and no injuries were reported.

The Maryland packages contained a note railing against highway signs urging motorists to report suspicious activity, investigators revealed.

The message read: "Report suspicious activity! Total Bull----! You have created a self fulfilling prophecy."

Richard J. Wolf, a spokesman for the FBI in Baltimore, confirmed the D.C. parcel was similiar to the Maryland packages, but he did not know who the D.C. package was addressed to or whether it included a note.

At the D.C. facility, which primarily handles mail for the federal government in Washington, workers are not allowed to open packages, postal inspector Frank Schissler said, so it's unclear exactly how the parcel ignited. However, the suspicious D.C. package was discovered after another package was thrown on top of it, Postal Service spokeswoman Joanne Veto said. The labels, postmark and stamps were similar to the Maryland parcels, she said.

The D.C. facility is not near downtown or the Capitol.

The earlier packages, addressed to Gov. Martin O'Malley and to Transportation Secretary Beverley Swaim-Staley, have been taken to the FBI lab in Quantico, Va., for forensic analysis. They did not contain explosive material.

They were opened within a 15-minute period Thursday at state government buildings 20 miles apart.

The workers who opened the packages singed their fingers, but there were no significant injuries. Mailroom employees were back at work Friday, and they had pictures of the packages and were advised to be vigilant about anything suspicious.

Investigators had no previous indication the packages would be sent anywhere other than Maryland government buildings, Wolf said. While Maryland State Police has been the lead investigative agency, the FBI might now be forced to take a more active role, he said.

Police have not yet identified any suspects. Anyone arrested would be charged with possession and use of an incendiary device, which includes a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, authorities said.

Speaking before the new package was found, state police Col. Terrence Sheridan said Friday that authorities were expecting more packages to surface.

"We've got to make sure we go after this person and get them off the street and get them behind bars, because these kinds of things are very, very dangerous," Sheridan said. "We just don't know where this person is going with this. We don't know who it is. We don't know what they're thinking right now."


Nuckols reported from Pikesville, Md.

Recently Published by The Skanner News

  • Default
  • Title
  • Date
  • Random