Applications are being accepted for a class to help individuals learn the skills to become leaders in companies, civic organizations and government in the Portland area.
Leadership Portland was created by the Portland Business Alliance to train employees from its member firms with the skills and understanding necessary for future leadership positions.
Through interactive exercises and a challenging curriculum, class participants gain an understanding of how the community works and the issues that challenge the region's economic growth and stability.
The intensive program runs from October through June. It begins with a two-day retreat and continues with eight "education days" throughout the year. Class members are also expected to complete and present a team research project.
Participants will be chosen by a selection committee based on an application and letters of recommendation. The program seeks representation from a diverse cross-section of the Portland business community. Preference will be given to candidates who, in addition to their potential for leadership, would contribute to the diversity of the class. Participants must also have a demonstrated commitment to civic involvement.
Class size is limited to 35 participants. It is not unusual for the business alliance to receive more than twice that number of applications.
Requirements for participation are:
• Applicants must have the full support of their employer.
• Tuition is due at the time of acceptance into the program.
• Attendance at retreats and education days is mandatory. Participants must sign a commitment to participate for the full schedule. Failure to attend may result in withdrawal, without refund of tuition.
For more information or to receive an application, call 503-552-6775 or e-mail [email protected]. To apply for Leadership Portland, send a completed application and a letter of recommendation from an employer, sponsor or community leader to: Leadership Portland, Attn: Selection Committee, 200 SW Market St., Suite 1770, Portland, OR 97201
The program's 2006-2007 schedule is as follows:
• Thursday and Friday, Oct. 5 and 6: Opening Retreat
• Thursday, Oct. 19 or 26: Welcoming Reception
• Thursday, Nov. 2: Law, Justice and Public Safety
• Thursday, Dec. 7: Portland: Power, Influence and Leadership
• Thursday, Jan. 18, 2007: Business and Economic Development
• Thursday, Feb. 1, 2007: Health Care and Human Services
• Thursday, March 1, 2007: State Government and Public Policy
• Thursday, April 5, 2007: Building Sustainable Communities
• Thursday, May 3, 2007: Education
• Thursday, June 7, 2007: Cultural Arts and the Creative Economy
• Thursday, June 14 or 21, 2007: Graduation.