By The Skanner News Published: 25 February 2021
The Northwest African American Museum (NAAM), in Seattle, Washington, is launching a call for artist applications and a social media contest to select a local Black artist to be featured in a new Amazon Prime series called The Story of Art. Each episode will feature a different city, highlighting the museums and artists that make up its art scene. NAAM and the selected artist will work together on the show and the creation of a virtual exhibition for the NAAM website.
- From February 23 through March 1, the public can nominate artists who they feel represent the “DNA and soul of Black art in Seattle” or artists can nominate themselves by simply applying. The application and more information about procedures is available on the NAAM website.
- On March 2, NAAM will announce a selection of finalist artists who will be put forward for a public vote.
- NAAM is asking for the community’s input to select the winning artist. From March 3 through March 10, the community can review the finalists and cast their vote for a winner through NAAM’s Instagram and Facebook. NAAM will post three works by each finalist artist on both platforms. After the voting period, NAAM will tabulate likes, shares and saves across each platform, and the artist with the most combined engagement will be the winner.
- On March 12, NAAM will announce the winner.
- Amazon Prime will tape the Seattle segment, including NAAM and the winning local artist this spring (exact date TBD).