You have the power. It doesn't matter whether you are poor or struggling. It doesn't matter where you live. You can achieve your dreams.
Your own attitude will determine what you do. It's not a shortage of brainpower that will affect the outcome; it's a shortage of hope.
Your belief in yourself is where it all begins. You must put yourself on the path to great success. You can survive and you can solve the problems you will face.
You must simply believe that you can become and do anything you set your heart and mind to. There are no limits to what you can do. Anything – and everything — is possible.
Your parents may not be able to give you money or connections, but they give you values to live by: pride, respect, hard work, preparation, inspiration, the desire to give back and the strength to never give up.
Here are some of the ideas and tactics that you can use to put yourself on the path to success:
Plot Your Future: Nothing happens without effort. You must lay the foundation for success.
1. Watch those around you. If the people around you are working hard but not getting ahead, don't dismiss them as role models. They have a lot to teach you, both about the realities of life and the values that can lead to a better life.
2. Stop being critical, down, sarcastic and negative. Get out of the lottery ticket mentality. You can't buy success with a dollar. Stop saying and thinking "what if." Start saying and thinking "can do" between you and your friends and family. Eliminate any and all evidence of overwhelming hopelessness from your talk. Tell your friends daily that they are destined for great things.
3. Clear the Area. If your life feels like it's filled with too much stuff, get in touch with the things you can clear out. Do some spring cleaning. If it's emotional clutter, it could be you are hanging around people who aren't contributing to you in a positive way.
4. Focus on what you want. Decide what it is you want and then focus on it like a laser beam. Keep your eye on the prize. Write down your desires and look at them every day until they are branded in your thoughts. Visualize your belief.
5. Never fear rejection. Don't take no as an answer. Look at it as an opportunity. Stop watching so much TV. Get off the couch. Get off your butt and get into action. Fear is False Expectations Appearing Real. It is an illusion entirely in your head. You don't overcome fear; you embrace it and walk through your doubts, knowing you have the capacity to achieve your dreams in spite of your fears.
6. Never be afraid of your ideas. Don't be so afraid to talk about your ideas. That's a loser's mentality. Correct it! If you're ashamed of your dream or idea then it's not worth having. Talk about your ideas. Get feedback. Find supportive people.
7. Never take no as a final answer. Persistence isn't everything; it's the only thing. If you are going to be successful in life, you'll hear no a thousand times. Get used to it and look at no as an opportunity. Success creates confidence. Remember that the first step is always the hardest. Once you've taken it, don't stop walking-start running.
8. Get out there! Work and make money. Don't wait. Taste the sweet smell of success. Work to make money to support your hobbies and so that you can buy personal items. Start a business, work for neighbors, or be creative and make things to sell. Experience the thrill of creating something and selling it. Go for it.
In life we don't get what we want, we get in life what we are. If we want more we have to be able to be more. You are the single most important factor that can influence your own success.
Farrah Gray is the author of Get Real, Get Rich: Conquer the 7 Lies Blocking You from Success. He can be reached on his website at www.drfarrahgray.com