Summertime is here again, and that means a season of fun activities in Portland's parks. For the 99th consecutive year, Portland parks have offered a summer playground program.
The program features a wide variety of drop-in recreation activities for children ages 5 through 12. With neighborhood sites throughout the city, playground leaders create safe, supervised and fun-filled environments with a variety of activities including sports, games, arts, crafts and nature. Many of the city's parks also have wading pools that open on hot weather days.
Portland Parks and Recreation participates in the federal lunch program, offering free, nutritious lunches to children ages 2 through 18 at selected parks throughout the city. Lunches are offered at varying times per park between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.; check the individual park schedule for the exact time.
The summer playground sites and locations are as follows:
• Columbia Park, North Lombard Street and Woolsey Avenue, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• Kenton Park, North Delaware Avenue and Kilpatrick Street, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• McCoy Park, North Fiske Street and Fessenden Avenue, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• McKenna Park, North Wall Street and Princeton Avenue, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lunch available.
• Peninsula Park, North Albina Avenue and Portland Boulevard, 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• St. Johns Park, North 84th and Central avenues, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• University Park, North Foss Avenue and Hunt Street. 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday. Lunch available.
Outer East Portland
• East Portland Community Center, 740 S.E. 106th Ave. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.Monday through Thursday.
• Lincoln Park, Southeast 135th Avenue and Mill Street, noon to 5 p.m.
• Parklane Park, Southeast 155th Avenue and Main street, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Alberta Park, Northeast 22ndAvenueand Killingsworth Street, 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• Grant Park, Northeast 33rd Avenue and U.S. Grant Place, 11 a.m. to 3p.m. Pool available.
• Irving Park, Northeast SeventhAvenueand Fremont Street, 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• Knott Park, Northeast 117th Avenue and Knott Street, noon to 5 p.m.
• Montavilla Park, Northeast 82nd Avenue and Glisan Street, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pool and lunch available.
• Oregon Park, Northeast 30th Avenue and Oregon Street. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday. Pool available.
• Woodlawn Park, Northeast 13th Avenue and Dekum Street, 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Pool and lunch available.