For more opportunities of giving for the holidays:
OREGON FOOD DRIVE
The food bank and affiliated volunteers are holding a number of food drives around town this season. Visit their website at www.oregonfoodbank.org for the full list. But here are a few if you're in the neighborhood and you have a spare can of hominy:
• City Hall, through Dec. 31, collection bins are located on every floor.
• Pietro's Pizza, 10300 S.E. Main St. in Milwaukie, until Dec. 12. Get a discount on pizza with your donation.
• KINK FM 102, Friday, Dec. 12 at the Roseland Theater. Holiday concert benefits the Oregon Food Bank. Tickets are $20 at TicketsWest.
• Waterfront Food Drive, bring your food donations to participating businesses along the waterfront.
SALVATION ARMY GIVING TREES
The Salvation Army assists thousands of families who qualify for assistance every year. By purchasing a tag off an Angel Tree, you help a specific, anonymous child get two age-appropriate toys. Tags are also available to help senior citizens.
• Lloyd Center, 2201 Lloyd Center,
• Washington Square Mall, Hwy. 217/Greenburg, Hall and Scholls Ferry Exits
• Eastport Plaza, 400 SE 82nd Ave., Portland
TOYS FOR TOTS
This U.S. Marine-run program helped distribute nearly 112,000 toys last year through organizations who help families in need. This year, they're looking to increase that number this year. To donate, you just need to drop off a new, unwrapped toy at a drop off location:
• Walgreens locations
• Safeway locations
• Wells Fargo locations
TOY 'N' JOY
The Portland Fire and Rescue will be collecting new and "like-new" toys at any Portland fire station, any Barbara Sue Seal Realtors office, Fabric Depot or the Toy 'N' Joy office, 5916 NE Going St. They also accept cash donations to purchase toys. Much like Toys For Tots, this program works with state and local organizations that assist low-income people to find children in need. Toys are also distributed to parents or a legal guardian who can call to request toys at 503-823-0922.
VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS ASSOCIATION
A holiday dinner is being held on Dec. 17 at 5:30 p.m. to benefit needy families in Portland. The $35 per guest ticket price supports the group's food and toy drive. Only 90 seats are available. Call Anne Pinney at 360-281-7946 or John Thompson at 360-356-4549.