Mayor Charlie Hales has made bureau assignments Monday. The changes will be effective from Tuesday, June 4.
"Holding the bureaus under the mayor's auspices allowed us to tackle the worst city budget anyone remembers, with a $21.5 million shortfall," Hales said in a press release.
"That's done. It's time to move forward with our commission mode of government."
Hales said his intention was to stir up change and promote a "board of directors" style of city government. Commissioners will have expertise about bureaus they no longer manage, he said, which will encourage discussion and sharing among council members.
Mayor Charlie Hales
• Portland Police Bureau
• Portland Development Commission
• Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
• Office of Neighborhood Involvement
• Office of Equity and Human Rights
• Office of Management and Finance
• Office of Government Relations
• City Attorney
• City Budget Office
· Fire & Police Disability and Retirement
• Oversight of the Willamette River Super Fund clean-up project.
Commissioner Dan Satzman
• Bureau of Housing
• Bureau of Fire & Rescue
• Gateway Domestic Violence Center
• Portland Children's Investment Fund (Children's Levy)
• Liaison to the League of Oregon Cities; Travel Portland; Visitors Development Fund; and Home Forward
Commissioner Nick Fish
• Bureau of Environmental Services
• Water Bureau
• Regional Arts and Culture Council
• Liaison to Elders in Action; Regional Water Consortium Board; Venture Portland; Water Quality Advisory Committee; and Portland Utility Review Board
Commissioner Amanda Fritz
• Bureau of Parks & Recreation
• Bureau of Development Services
• Liaison to Royal Rosarians; BDS Adjustment Committee; Building Board of Appeals; County Animal Control
Commissioner Steve Novick
• Bureau of Transportation
• Bureau of Emergency Management
• Bureau of Emergency Communications
• Liaison to: Joint Policy Advisory Committee on Transportation (JPACT); Portland Streetcar Inc.; Regional Emergency Management Group; BOEC Users Group; BOEC Finance Committee; Taxi Cab Board of Review; Towing Board of Review