04-29-2017  8:23 am      •     
The Wake of Vanport
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

NEWS BRIEFS

Clark College Hosts Over 100 Employers at Job Fair

Annual Career Days workshops and job fair provides students and community members with skills and connections to find jobs ...

Oscar Arana Chosen to Lead NAYA’s Community Development

Oscar Arana to serve as NAYA’s next Director of Community Development ...

High School Students Launch Police Forum, May 16

Police Peace PDX is a student-founded organization that bridges divides between community and police ...

POWGirls Announces Two Workshops for Summer 2017

Workshops open to girls ages 15-19 ...

U.S. & WORLD NEWS

OPINION

Take Care of Yourself, Your Health and Your Community

Sirius Bonner, Director of Equity and Inclusion for Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette, writes about the importance of...

Sponsors of Hate Today Must Be Held Accountable

The Foundation for the Carolinas has spent tens of millions of dollars over the years supporting groups that sponsor hate ...

John E. Warren on the Woes of Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo's rating downgraded from "Outstanding" to "Needs to Improve" ...

CBC Opposes Nomination of Judge Gorsuch and the Senate Should Too

Americans need a Supreme Court justice who will judge cases on the merits, not based on his or her personal philosophies ...

AFRICAN AMERICANS IN THE NEWS

ENTERTAINMENT

Brandon Chavez, 7, and his uncle, Francisco Miranda, hold French flags in front of French consulate in New York, Friday, July 15, 2016. Scores of people were killed Thursday night after a Tunisian man drove a truck through crowds celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, France. (Viorel Florescu/The Record of Bergen County via AP)

NICE, France (AP) — The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed the Tunisian man who barreled his truck into a crowd in the French resort city of Nice was a "soldier" of the group, the first claim of responsibility for an attack that has claimed 84 lives and wounded more than 200 people.

The claim — circulated on social media by a news outlet affiliated with the group — didn't name Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the 31-year-old Tunisian who authorities say was behind the wheel as his truck crashed into a crowd of revelers at a fireworks display on Thursday. But the statement quoting a security member of the group said the man was following calls from IS to target nationals of countries fighting it.

The nature and scope of Bouhlel's relationship with IS hasn't been established. It's also unclear whether or not he was acting alone. The Paris prosecutor's office said Saturday that five people are in custody following the attack.

The identities of most of those brought into custody were not clear. But neighbors in the Nice neighborhood where the Bouhlel used to live told The Associated his estranged wife had been taken away by police on Friday.

The claim of responsibility came as French security chiefs met in Paris as Nice's seaside boulevard partially reopened to traffic. An Associated Press reporter at the site of the massacre, Nice's famous Promenade des Anglais, said the boulevard was slowly coming back to life. A maskeshift memorial of bouquets, candles and messages had been set up near one end of the expansive avenue.

France is observing three days of national mourning in homage to the victims.

 

Oregon Lottery
Calendar
The Armory Constellations

Photo Gallery

The Talented Ones

Mary's Wedding