09-23-2017  8:10 pm      •     
The Wake of Vanport
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

NEWS BRIEFS

Morris Marks House on the Move

Its relocation is scheduled for Sept. 30 and will take approximately two days ...

Tim Burgess Inaugurated as 55th Mayor of Seattle

Burgess, a former radio journalist, served as Seattle City Councilmember from 2008 to 2017 ...

Mobile Mammography Van Comes to Health Fair, Oct. 7

Onsite mammograms, music, food, health information, and fun ...

Humboldt Sewer Repair Project Update: September 15, 2017

Environmental Services continues a project to repair more than 3 miles of public sewer pipes ...

NAACP Portland Branch Invites Community to Monthly General Membership Meeting

Meeting takes place from noon to 2 p.m. Sept. 23 ...

U.S. & WORLD NEWS

OPINION

Trump Can’t Deport the American “Dreamers” Without a Fight

Julianne Malveaux criticizes President Trump’s approach to immigration, the dreamers and DACA. ...

What You Should Know about the Equifax Data Breach

Charlene Crowell, the communications deputy director for the Center for Responsible Lending, reports on the Equifax data breach which...

Jeff Trades an Unknown Known for a Known Known

Jeff Tryens reflects on life in Central Oregon ...

We Must Have A New Poor People's Campaign and Moral Revival

Bishop William J. Barber II pens an exclusive op-ed about the need for a New Poor People's Campaign and Moral Revival. ...

AFRICAN AMERICANS IN THE NEWS

ENTERTAINMENT

CNN




(CNN) -- Exxon Mobile will pay all of the costs related to last week's oil spill in an Arkansas neighborhood, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

Between 3,500 and 5,000 barrels of heavy crude leaked from a ruptured pipeline -- not 12,000 barrels, as previously reported, according to Exxon Mobile spokesman Alan Jeffers.

The company has no timeline yet for when the cleanup around the two dozen homes in a Mayflower, Arkansas, subdivision would be completed, Jeffers said.

Excavation of the contaminated soil is under way, weather permitting, he said. He did not have an estimate of the costs of the effort.

Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel has opened an investigation into what caused a 2- or 3-inch gash in the underground Pegasus pipeline, which began spewing crude Friday.

McDaniel said Tuesday he asked Exxon Mobil, the owner of the 60-year-old pipeline, to preserve all documents and information related to the spill and cleanup efforts.

"This incident has damaged private property and Arkansas's natural resources. Homeowners have been forced from their homes as a result of this spill," McDaniel said in a statement Tuesday. "Requesting that Exxon secure these documents and data is the first step in determining what happened and preserving evidence for any future litigation."

The Pegasus pipeline carries Canadian crude from Illinois to Texas, a state transportation engineer said.

Exxon Mobil met with displaced residents over the weekend to explain how they can make claims for losses. "If you have been harmed by this spill then we're going to look at how to make that right," Exxon Mobil Pipeline Co. President Gary Pruessing told them

Oregon Lottery PM Home
Artists Rep An Octoroon
Calendar

Photo Gallery

Photos and slide shows of local events

MLK Breakfast

The Skanner Photo Archives