12 21 2014
  1:55 am  
     •     
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Default
  • Title
  • Date
  • Random
load morehold SHIFT key to load allload all

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The last of the once-ubiquitous FEMA trailers has been removed from New Orleans more than six years after floodwalls and levees broke during Hurricane Katrina and caused the city to flood.

On Wednesday, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said the last trailer was removed Sunday. The agency said the household living in the trailer moved into their rebuilt home last week.

New Orleans once had more than 23,000 FEMA trailers. The city complained they were eyesores. But people relied on them so long because of troubles that included shortfalls in funds for rebuilding and health and personal problems.

FEMA said there were three trailers still left elsewhere in Louisiana from the 2005 hurricane season.

.

© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

United Way
THIS SITE WORKS BEST ON GOOGLE CHROME

PHOTO GALLERY

Calendar

About Us

Twist Your Dickens
Breaking News

The Skanner TV

Turn the pages

Buy Tickets ML King Breakfast 2015